Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Classic Carrot Cupcake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting

I am a true lover of carrot cake and every birthday my dear sweet hubby attempts to make me a carrot cake, the only problem with that is he makes it from a box.  Which if you have ever made one you would know it taste more like spice cake than carrot, but kudos for him trying!!!
My late mothers carrot cake was handed down from my amazing grandmother (who by the way taught me a lot about baking), so I was a little leary about trying someone else's recipe.  I am amazed how well these turned out and I will be passing them around (that way there not too tempting).
Thanks to "the cupcake recipe" at  www.thecupcakerecipes.com for this wonderful cupcake

Ingredients
1 9oz pkg frozen sliced carrots
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tps. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup pecans or walnuts (I did not use these)

Preheat oven 350 degrees.  cook carrots according to pkg directions until tender.  Drain & mash in a large bowl.  Add sugar, oil, & eggs, beat well.  Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon & salt.  Beat into carrot mixture.  Stir in chopped nuts.  Pour batter into cupcak pan lined with baking cups.  Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  Cool and frost


Frosting

1 pkg 8oz cream cheese, at room temperature
8 Tbsp (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
3 cups confectioners sugar, sifted
2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
1 Tbsp grated orange zest (from 1 orange)

Bleand cream cheese & butter in a large mixing bowl on low speed until combined.  Stop the machine & gradually add the sugar, blending with the mixer on low speed until the sugar is well combined.  Then add the orange juice & zest to the mixture.  Increase the mixer speed until the frosting lightens & is fluffy, about 1 minute.  Use at once to frost your cupcakes.

Note:  I added a little more powdered sugar so I could use a pastry bag to frost them.  Since I had more frosting than needed I decided to put some in the middle of the cupcake by inserting the tip into the top of the cupcake and filled, then frosted.

Hope you all enjoy them as much as I do!!

1 comment: